When Do You Need to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
If you get into a motor vehicle collision in Clearwater or New Port Richey, you may be able to pursue compensation for medical bills and other costs. But when do you need to hire a car accident lawyer to help you with your fight for damages?
When Should You Enlist the Services of a Car Accident Attorney?
It is not always necessary to hire legal representation in the aftermath of a car accident in the state of Florida. However, if you should find yourself in one of the following scenarios, hiring an experienced personal injury attorney is almost certainly the right thing to do:
The Other Party is Blaming You for the Crash
Nobody wants to take responsibility for a car wreck.
So, if the other driver attempts to blame you for the collision, you should enlist the services of a skilled attorney as quickly as possible – unless you want to be liable for all of their damages.
Your lawyer can launch a thorough investigation into the cause of your car crash to determine the identity of the at-fault driver. If their inquiry shows that the blame lies with the other party, you can use it as evidence at trial.
If the report indicates that you hold a portion of the blame, your attorneys may still be able to help you pursue damages under Florida’s comparative negligence laws.
Your Car Crash Involved Multiple Parties
Car crashes involving multiple different parties can be highly complex and demanding. Depending on the exact nature of the collision, you could end up having to manage several lawsuits at once.
Since juggling litigation in this manner is almost impossible for one person to do alone, you would be wise to hire a skilled lawyer to assist you.
You Sustained Life-Altering Injuries
If your car crash left you with a permanent disability or a long-term health issue, you would be well-advised to enlist the services of an auto collision attorney.
They will be able to help you battle for compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
When the other party acts with malice, your lawyer will also help you fight for punitive (or exemplary) damages.
The Insurance Adjusters Denied Your Claim
It is, unfortunately, not at all unusual for auto insurance companies in the state of Florida to deny legitimate injury claims. Some common reasons for this include:
- The policyholder did not report their car accident injury in time
- The policyholder did not provide them with enough evidence
- The policyholder is exaggerating their injuries
- The policyholder is making a fraudulent claim
If your insurance company denies your claim for any of the reasons mentioned above, you would be well-advised to make sitting down with an attorney your top priority. They will be able to prevent the insurer from engaging in these bad faith actions.
Your Filing Deadline is Upcoming
Florida has strict limits on how long an accident victim has to file a lawsuit. Typically, the statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits in the Sunshine State is four years. Absent a really good reason (e.g., the victim was a minor or the defendant can’t be located), you will forfeit the right to pursue compensation if you miss the deadline.
Hiring a car accident attorney right away can help to ensure that you don’t miss out on money you need because of a procedural technicality.
How Will a Personal Injury Lawyer Help with Your Car Accident Case?
Before you hire a car crash attorney, you might want to know a little more about how they can help you with your fight for compensation. So, here is a short rundown of the services most commonly offered by law firms who specialize in cases of this nature:
- Providing you with straightforward answers to your legal questions
- Offering trustworthy legal advice during every stage of your case
- Conducting an independent investigation into your car accident
- Communicating with the other party’s legal team on your behalf
- Researching and devising a legal strategy for your car crash case
- Identifying the party that is responsible for your auto accident
- Guiding you through the complex Florida civil justice system
- Providing you with an in-depth overview of your legal options
- Consulting with respected industry experts about your case
- Working out a settlement with the defendant’s insurance company
- Arguing on your behalf in court, if required
If you have any specific questions about the services offered by personal injury attorneys, you would be well-advised to give them a call to arrange a free consultation. During this meeting, you can find out more about how they will assist you with your car accident claim.
What Should You Look for When Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer?
When you hire an attorney to help you with your personal injury claim, you will undoubtedly want to ensure you get the right person for the job. After all, they may be the difference between you recovering the compensation you deserve or having your case dismissed.
To find the perfect attorney for you, all you have to do is watch out for the following traits:
- Passion: The best personal injury attorneys have a passion for the law.
- Communication Skills: You will need to speak with your attorney a lot. Make sure they know how to communicate.
- Sound Judgement: Since you will need to rely on your attorney’s advice quite frequently, it is vital that they have good judgment.
- Legal Knowledge: You should never work with a lawyer that does not have a thorough understanding of Florida law.
- Specialization: Some attorneys in Florida have demonstrated a superior understanding of a particular area of the law. If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you should seriously consider seeking out an attorney who is Board Certified in civil trial law by the Florida Bar Association. Hiring a Board Certified attorney can give you the edge you need to maximize your recovery.
Once you locate a lawyer that possesses these traits, you can enter into a contract with them immediately. When you do, they can start pursuing the compensation you deserve for your car accident injuries straight away.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Lawyer After a Car Crash?
The vast majority of personal injury lawyers in the state of Florida work on a contingency fee basis. This billing system means that injured parties like you rarely have to pay any money upfront.
Instead, lawyers typically take a cut of the eventual compensatory award. In most cases, their portion is one-third of the total payout.
Of course, before you sign any agreements with prospective lawyers, you would be well-advised to confirm that they use this billing method. There are some that prefer to charge upfront, so by asking the question you can avoid any nasty surprises.
When Do You Need to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer? Contact Us Today
“When do you need to hire a car accident lawyer in Florida?” We hope we have given you a clear and comprehensive answer to this question on this resource page. However, if you are still not sure whether you require legal representation, please do not hesitate to call the team at Roman & Gaynor to set up a free case evaluation.